Earthquake in Nepal -Tremors Delhi
On 03 November 2023, a 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck Nepal, with tremors felt in Delhi and other parts of North India. The epicentre of the earthquake was in the Lamidanda area of Jajarkot district, about 300 miles northeast of the capital, Kathmandu. Approx 128 people were killed in the Nepal earthquake, and dozens more were injured. Got more insights on news in this News Blog.
The earthquake was the third to strike Nepal in a month, and the strongest since a 7.8 magnitude earthquake in 2015 that killed nearly 9,000 people. The tremors in Delhi and other parts of North India (Bihar and Uttar pradesh) were strong enough to shake buildings and cause people to evacuate their homes.
Impact of the Nepal earthquake
The Nepal earthquake today, caused widespread damage to homes and infrastructure. In the worst-affected areas, entire villages were reduced to rubble. The earthquake also triggered landslides and avalanches, which blocked roads and made it difficult to reach people in need of assistance.
Earthquake in delhi today
In Delhi NCR and other parts of North India, the earthquake caused some damage to buildings and infrastructure, but there were no reports of injuries. However, the tremors caused widespread panic and disruption. People rushed out of their homes and offices, and schools and businesses were closed.
Response to the earthquake
The Nepalese government has deployed the army and other security forces to the affected areas to help with relief and rescue efforts. The government has also appealed for international assistance.
The Indian government has also sent relief supplies and medical teams to Nepal. The Indian Air Force has also been involved in the relief effort, airlifting people from remote areas.
What to do in an earthquake
If you are in an earthquake, the most important thing is to stay calm and follow these steps:
- Drop, cover, and hold on. Drop to the ground, cover your head and neck with your arms, and hold on to a sturdy object until the shaking stops.
- If you are indoors, get under a table or desk. If you are outdoors, find a clear spot away from trees, power lines, and other hazards.
- Once the shaking stops, be aware of your surroundings and look for hazards such as fires, broken glass, and downed power lines. If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately.
What to do after an earthquake
- After an earthquake, it is important to stay informed and follow the instructions of local officials. Here are some things you can do:
- Check for injuries. If you or someone you know is injured, seek medical attention immediately.
- Assess the damage to your home and property. If your home is damaged, do not enter it until it has been inspected by a qualified professional.
- Be prepared for aftershocks. Aftershocks are common after a major earthquake. Be prepared to drop, cover, and hold on if you feel an aftershock.
- Stay informed. Listen to local radio and television stations for updates on the earthquake and the response effort.
Conclusion – Earthquake in Nepal Tremors in Delhi
The earthquake in Nepal was a tragedy, and the people of Nepal need our support.
The 6.4 magnitude earthquake that struck Nepal on November 3, 2023, caused widespread damage and loss of life. The tremors were felt in Delhi and other parts of North India, causing panic and disruption. The Nepalese government and other countries are providing assistance, but there is still much work to be done. If you are able, please donate to a reputable charity that is providing relief to the affected areas. Check more Updates on Daily News on astrofree.
FAQs (Earthquake in Nepal)
Q: Why are earthquakes common in Nepal?
A: Nepal is located on the boundary of the Indian and Eurasian tectonic plates. The collision of these two plates causes the Himalayas to rise and makes the region prone to earthquakes.
Q: What is the magnitude of an earthquake?
A: The magnitude of an earthquake is a measure of the amount of energy released. Earthquakes are measured on the Richter scale, which ranges from 1 to 9. The higher the magnitude, the stronger the earthquake.
Q: What is the difference between the epicentre and the focus of an earthquake?
A: The epicentre of an earthquake is the point on the Earth’s surface directly above the focus. The focus is the point within the Earth’s crust where the earthquake originates.
Q: What should I do if I feel an earthquake in Delhi?
A: If you feel an earthquake in Delhi, the most important thing is to stay calm and follow the steps outlined above: drop, cover, and hold on. If you are indoors, get under a table or desk. If you are outdoors, find a clear spot away from trees, power lines, and other hazards. Once the shaking stops, be aware of your surroundings and look for hazards. Seek medical attention immediately if you are injured.